Although Smashed media does receive compensation from some card issuers as advertisers, this does not in any way influence our overall judgement of a card. Discover has not endorsed this content in any way.
Learn more about .
Discover recently released a new travel rewards credit card, the Discover it® Miles. There’s no annual fee and your miles can be used towards eligible travel purchases you make with the card, or deposited into your bank account.
You can take advantage of the introductory zero percent interest rate, as well as the complementary benefits and protections like free FICO® scores and travel credits.
For People with
- Annual Fee: $0
- Interest Rate: 11.74%–23.74% Variable
Quick Card Facts
- Exclusive Double Miles Offer: At the end of your first year-when other Miles cards charge an annual fee-Discover doubles all the Miles you’ve earned.*
- No annual fee & unlimited 1.5x Miles on every dollar you spend on purchases. 0% intro APR on purchases for 14 months-then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 11.74%–23.74%.
- 100 Miles = $1 value. Redeem Miles in any amount toward travel purchases on your statement. Or get cash as a direct deposit to your bank account.*
- Discover pays you back for your in-flight Wi-Fi fees-up to $30 a year-with an automatic statement credit.*
- New Freeze ItSM on/off switch lets you prevent new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers on misplaced cards in seconds by mobile app & online.*
- Free FICO® Credit Score on statements, online & by mobile app.* And 100% U.S.-based service any time.
- Free overnight shipping of replacement cards to any U.S. street address at your request. And you’re never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card.*
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms and other info by clicking “Apply Now.” See complete Discover it® Miles details.
Cardholders receive 1.5 miles for each dollar spent. After the first year of use, double miles are awarded, meaning the total amount of miles earned in the previous year are again added to the account.
You’ll also receive a $30 statement credit each year that can be used to pay for in-flight Wi-Fi purchases.
Additional discounts and miles can be earned in the Discover Deals online portal. Here, you’ll find specific deals being offered at specific retailers. Many are online-only. Some current examples are:
|$15 dollars off a purchase at Godiva.com||15% cash back at PetSmart.com||Up to $20 off at TurboTax.com|
|5% cash back at Apple.com||5% cash back at Walmart.com||20% cash back on any purchase from Adagio Teas|
Miles can be redeemed in two ways:
- The first is by an electronic deposit into the bank account of your choice.
- The second is as a statement credit to pay for eligible travel purchases within the past 180 days. Eligible purchases include:
|hotel rooms||commercial airline tickets||car rentals|
|taxis and limousines||cruises||tour operators|
|some vacation packages||local and suburban commuter transportation||charter tours, bus lines|
No matter how you redeem your rewards, each mile is the equivalent of 1 cent.
Discover offers a number of additional benefits to help you manage your account as well as shop and travel safely. A mobile app is available to make account information easy to access on the go.
Your credit score is an important part of your financial life, and Discover lets you monitor yours easily. You can find your FICO® score online for free at any time, along with some useful advice about your credit score, by logging onto your account online. Here’s mine:
There are a number of shopping and traveling protections that, while you don’t want to have to use them, could come in handy if you get in a tight situation.
In case of an emergency while traveling, you’re covered by 24/7 Travel Assistance. You can also call for the services of a travel agent or for other needs like ticket replacement. If your card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can get a free replacement overnight if you’re in the U.S.
In the air you’ll have access to Flight Accident Insurance, which will provide up to $500,000 in the event of the accidental death of yourself or your family. The other flying benefit is Baggage Delay Insurance, which will reimburse you up to $500 for required travel necessities when your baggage is delayed by at least 3 hours.
On the road you can call Emergency Roadside Assistance if you break down while driving. You’ll have access to services like towing, fuel refills, and tire changes, for a fee of $69.95 per service call.
Auto Rental Insurance will cover your rented vehicles against damage and theft, as long as the car rental company’s own insurance is declined.
When shopping, your eligible purchases are covered by the following 4 protection benefits: Purchase Protection, Price Protection, an Extended Warranty, and a Return Guarantee.
- The Purchase Protection service will compensate you up to $500 if your purchase is lost or stolen, for up to 90 days after the date of purchase.
- Price Protection makes sure you get the best price on a purchase, and will reimburse you the difference if you find an item you bought being sold for a lower price, up to 90 days after the purchase.
- The Extended Warranty will add up to 1 year on a manufacturer’s original warranty of 36 months or less.
- Return Guarantee will refund your purchase for up to $500 if the retailer you bought it from refuses to take it back, for up to 90 days after the purchase.
As of April 2015, a new security feature now provides cardholders with the ability to temporarily freeze their account when their card is lost, instead of having to call and cancel the card. Your account can be frozen through the Discover website, mobile app, or by phone. Simply freeze your account until you find the card, and then unfreeze it the same way.
Freezing your account will not interfere with previous payments that you have authorized. It will only prevent new transactions, cash advances, and balance transfers from being made not; freezing will not prevent automatic recurring charges to go through, so payments for services will still go through.
You can use the Cash at Checkout feature in the same way that you can get cash back with a debit card. You can get cash back at the register at participating retailers only. The additional cost is counted as a purchase.
Cardholders won’t be held responsible for fraudulent charges to the account, which is monitored for suspicious activity. To help you track and understand your finances, the Spend Analyzer tool will record and categorize your spending over time, providing month-to-month comparisons to shed a new light on your spending.
|Annual Fee||Intro APR for Purchases||Regular APR||Intro APR for Balance Transfers||Regular Balance Transfer APR||Cash Advance APR||Foreign Transaction Fee|
|$0||0% for 14 Months||11.74%–23.74% Variable||10.99% for 14 Months||11.74%–23.74% Variable||25.74%||None|
|Penalty APR||Late Fee||Returned Payment Fee|
|None||$0 the first time; up to $35 after that||Up to $35|
The Bottom Line
The Discover it® Miles credit card is a contender if you’re looking for a simple credit card that will reward you for traveling. While not the most rewarding card for travelers, its simplicity can be attractive to some. Keep in mind that Discover, while popular, is one of the less-accepted card networks around the world.
You can find a map of Discover acceptance around the world here.
Discover also recently tied for first place in J.D. Power’s recent Credit Card Consumer Satisfaction study, so you’ll know that you’ll receive high-quality customer service.
Looking for some more rewarding and luxurious travel credit cards? Check out the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® and the Hilton HHonorsTM Surpass® Card from American Express.
Have you used the Discover it® Miles credit card? How do you like it? Let us know in the comments below!